Sunday, June 7, 2009

Directed jumping practice

When we were at the club today I managed to get a short video clip of us practicing the directed jumping exercise. This exercise includes the go out, sit, jump, front and finish. It's done twice - once with the bar jump and once with the high jump.

The clip is of the go out with the bar jump. I'm still helping him by following him out a few steps to give the sit command, otherwise, he stands there for too long before he sits. And I'm also trying to figure out a way to speed him up on the jump part. I can run away, throw treats, etc., which can speed him up some in practice but has not carried over to the more formal exercise. (The barking dog noise heard in the background is just an audio tape of trial noises.)

I saw posted at the club today a notice for a fun match next weekend in a city a couple hours away. I'm thinking it might be worth the trip over to help us prepare for an upcoming trial. So, that's my plan now, to try a fun match in a new setting to see how we do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Jackson - I LOVE it when you post videos of the stuff you do!! My human and I have been watching it again and again - that is just so cool! You know, Hsin-Yi has decided to try and follow what you're doing, with me...even though we can't do the UDX title here but it's just cool to have something to aspire to! Hee! hee! That video was really helpful - now we know exactly what is expected and what to aim for.

I know how to do a jump when Hsin-Yi is running beside me...now I just have to learn to jump it on my own, when Hsin-Yi is far away! Also, I'm starting to learn to do the "sendaway"...I'm not very good at it yet!

Please do keep posting videos when you can...we love them!

Good luck at the trial...can't wait to hear all about it!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane